Introducing someone new to your family is a challenge, any time of the year. If you plan to introduce a new mate or partner on Thanksgiving, here are a few tips to keep in mind.
- It will help if you have introduced the new person to at least one family member, prior to Thanksgiving. This way, your new mate won’t feel quite so isolated.
- Make sure you have given your family time to adjust to the idea of you bringing someone new into the dynamic. Give them notice before showing up with a new person on your arm.
- Update both your family and your date on what to expect.
- Many people revert to childhood behavior during holidays so make sure you keep your behavior in check.
- Bring a small gift or food item for the host/hostess – to pave the way.
- Don’t turn your date against your family because chances are, they won’t think your family is as ‘crazy’ as you think they are.
- Last but not least, maintain a sense of humor. Holidays can be very stressful and humor will help to alleviate that pressure.
If you worry that bringing someone new home, on Thanksgiving, will cause more harm than good, reconsider your decision. You may find it wiser to hold off and to introduce your new mate after an engagement is set (if that happens).
Thanks to Ava Parnass, Family and Child Therapist, for providing these tips.Follow Us: